*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Do you discuss your salary with your kids?

A small study showing that teens worry about their family's finances has got me thinking. As a kid, I didn't worry about my family's finances much mostly because I didn't know anything about them. Once in a while we had to tighten our belts, but other than that, things like salaries, investments, pensions, even monthly budgets were the stuff of conversations between my parents, not dinner-time talk with us kids.

My husband and I do talk about many of those things with our children. We also talk about for whom we voted, our career plans, how we balance work and family life, what we dream of for our future and how we make decisions. We ask our children's opinions on many of those things.

There's a growing body of evidence that children drive many family decisions, especially how money is spent. There's also concern that, whether from a lack of time or backbone, parents are abdicating their authority and responsibility to their kids.

Those are certainly dangers and ultimately harmful to children. But I believe the move towards more open discussion within families is a good thing. Passing on our values means letting our kids know how we handle credit cards and resolve work concerns, not just telling them what we believe.

The better they see into how we make decisions and handle problems, the better prepared they will be to manage their own lives responsibly.


2 Comments:

at 10:29 AM, November 10, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, no, Krista, I don't discuss my compensation with anyone other than my wife. I think the old school had it right: it is no one's business. Especially not the business of our children.
When I've had downturns in my career, and we had to tighten things up, even then the kids were unaware. I went to great lengths to cover it up. Kids are kids. They don't need to be stressed out my family finance issues. That will come soon enough in their own lives.

Just my humble opinion...

 
at 10:30 AM, November 10, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Lord, no!! Kids are kids, adults are adults. Is anything priveleged anymore??

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck