*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Possible veep choice? Howdy, Gov. Strickland

Columnist George Will may think Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland is the logical choice to be either Democratic presidential hopeful’s running mate, but Strickland thinks that kind of talk says more about the state’s importance than his.

“Howdy Doody could be in this office and the same speculation would occur,” Strickland told the Enquirer editorial board Thursday, referring to the title character of a popular 1950s children's TV show.

“I have no interest in the position (of vice-president),” he said during a lengthy, wide-ranging interview. “I feel it’s a little preposterous of me even to say I have no interest in it.”

Reacting to Will’s nationally syndicated column, which appeared on Thursday’s Enquirer op-ed page, Strickland tried to deflect the issue with some self-effacing humor. “After I read it, I told my staff I was a really important person and they should start treating me as such,” he said. “Unfortunately they didn’t pay any attention to me.”

But he stopped short of saying categorically that he’d turn down a request to join the ticket of either Sen. Hillary Clinton, whom Strickland has endorsed, or Sen. Barack Obama. “If I were asked, I would say, ‘Thank you. I’m glad you think I and Ohio are that important, but I have some suggestions,’ ” mentioning former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack as a good alternative.

“I think this interest in me (as vice-president) has everything to do with Ohio and its perceived importance as a swing state, but I’m not letting it go to my head as far as a feeling of self-importance,” Strickland said.

“I try to say this as clearly as I can: I have a job I like. I don’t know in fact what I’ll do after my first term. I don’t know if I’ll go for a second term or get a T-shirt shop in Key West, Fla. ... Unless I commit an impeachable offense, I’m going to be Ohio’s governor for the next nearly three years.”


4 Comments:

at 3:27 PM, March 13, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of wasting your time discussing George Will's fantasies of a Strickland VP nod (which Strickland has said he would not accept), why not discuss this?

After months of anxiety and arm-twisting, the House has taken the boldest step yet toward ethics reform, creating an independent ethics office. The panel of six nonpartisan outsiders is empowered to field allegations against representatives, refer serious charges for investigation by the House ethics committee, and tell the public what is frivolous and what is not.

...The minority leader, John Boehner, an outspoken opponent, must help jointly choose the six blue-ribbon appointees or accept responsibility for opposing much-needed reform. Mr. Boehner calls this bipartisan task “a stretch.” Stretch he must, for hack appointees won’t do.

...The measure is far from perfect; the new integrity office was denied subpoena power. But it can be a healthy step forward. Now it is up to Mr. Boehner to prove that his party wants to help win back public trust.

 
at 7:27 PM, March 13, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of John Boehner, Think Progress catches his latest hypocrisy:

Today, House conservatives announced they would go into a "secret session" to discuss classified portions of a proposed FISA update, the sixth closed session in history. According to an internal GOP memo, they are to have a "candid debate on the importance of passing a long-term modernization of our nation's foreign surveillance."

In reality, the session is not a "candid debate." Next week, the House is scheduled to go into recess. The Hill reports that the conservatives are organizing the session in order to "delay" Democrats' FISA legislation, raising the possibility that nothing will be passed until after break...

Weeks ago, however, conservatives were uncomfortable with the idea of a secret session. When Democrats proposed a closed session in late February to "discuss the legal underpinnings" of Bush's spy program, Minority Leader John Boehner's (R-OH) office said it was a "stalling tactic."

 
at 7:02 AM, March 14, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic, but following the thread the blog is taking:

There is finally an account of at least one of the closed session energy meetings Cheney conducted, and it's the one pertaining to the California energy crisis and Enron's place in it. This is recounted in a chapter of "Free Lunch: How corporations use government subsidies and you pay for it." by New York Times investigative journalist, David Cay Johnston. The subtitle is a paraphrase, since, for the life of me, I cannot memorize it; it is too long and cumbersome.
I have been mentioning this book to everyone and in several places on the Enquirer blogs too. I read many things, but you would get the impression that I've only read this. In fact, I flog it because it is a basic primer, both sophisticated and easy to understnad, on what's wrong with our current governmental structure and HOW that top 1% of the population is accumulating the wealth from our economic growth over the last 25 years, while "we" have had a real decrease in income, services and more.

If I could afford it, I'd be passing out copies for free on Fountain Square.........

 
at 6:56 PM, March 14, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean Howdy Doody is running for President now? COOL! He's better than all the rest of the choices, Democratic or Republican!! lol

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck