*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thank You - Enquirer Editorial Staff

Every Sunday my girls run out to the front yard to retrieve the morning paper. Our routine is to pour over the paper while we prepare and then eat a big Sunday breakfast. My girls read the paper to me while I cook. I read to them from the sports page while we eat. Last Sunday while preparing to make breakfast, my wife and I heard the girls screaming in the front yard. I knew ( and everyone else in the neighborhood knew ) that I had just received the Enquirer endorsement. There are so many quality candidates running for office this year that I wasn't sure if could win the endorsement or not. I thought my initial interview with the editorial board went good, but not great. The opportunity to post to the Forum blog was a welcome surprise. The questions were tough, but fair and it gave every candidate (that chose to participate) the opportunity to expand on their vision for making Cincinnati a great place to live, work and play. All I could do was keep posting and hope that my message was resonating. My father taught me that hard work, a solid plan and persistence pays dividends. My Mother taught me to pray. I believe those lessons carried the day for me last Sunday.

On behalf of myself, my family and my campaign staff I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the Enquirer editorial staff for your endorsement. Thank you for this honor. My father passed away last December I think that he would have been proud.


8 Comments:

at 6:57 AM, November 01, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone has missed them, you can see a compilation of all of Mr. Eby's posts on the Enquirer's Today at the Forum at:

http://johneby.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=1&id=16&Itemid=59

Thank you, John, for reaching out to the voters in all of the ways that you have. I hope that you have reached enough to win yourself a seat on council!

 
at 8:37 AM, November 02, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not appropriate to thank the editorial board for its enorsement.

Just run your campaign.

 
at 10:54 AM, November 02, 2007 Blogger Westside Resident said...

Anon:

Manners matter and I have been running an excellent campaign. Hence the Enquirer endorsement. Thanks for your comments. Thank Enquirer staff.

 
at 12:34 PM, November 02, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever, Eby, let's see how your manners are when the paper trashes one of your decisions, that is, if you are even elected.

You seem a little naive for this job. Also, please remember that first timers, especially no names, rarely get elected.

 
at 2:16 PM, November 02, 2007 Blogger Westside Resident said...

Anon:
I'm fully aware of the risks and rewards of the position. As my father used to say, "when you stick your head above the castle wall someone is going to shoot arrows at you." Politics is a tough business, but life is tougher. If there is one thing I took away from the last election it is that few people like politicians or their ideas. I accept that position, but it hasn't stopped me from expressing my beliefs. Thanks for your comments, but don't worry about me I'll be fine.

Also, please remember take the "I" in bitter and make it an "E" and you will feel better. Have a nice weekend Anon and remember to Vote on Tuesday, November 6.

 
at 3:48 PM, November 02, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute, did you teach pre-school?

Not bitter, just realistic is more like it. I live downtown and have made an investment here. I've seen Plum Street muck it up for years with a no-guts approach to quality of life issues in the city.

 
at 10:43 AM, November 03, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon. Just wanted to let you know, Mr. John Eby of Westwood is not a first-timer as far as running for Cincinnati City Council. This is his second round for this position, and we certainly wish him the best. VOTE EBY, MONZEL, AND GHIZ!

 
at 7:53 AM, November 06, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon:

Live downtown, hunh? Are you an "artist"? Someone else with a HUGE chip on his/her shoulder? I am all of those things.

BUT, I make room for those who aren't, and are willing to try things on my, and everyone else's behalf. Also, as a matter of maturity, I am trying to take my special gifts and realize their potential for the good of many, including Mr. Eby's children who may wish to look at some inspiring works later in their lives.

It's a big, inclusive circle. Get in it. Also, you might wish to read a bit about Cincinnati's history. It has generally had Tammany Hall type politics, and a wild west type public reaction to ineptness in city hall. (Riots, lynchings, burning down buildings....). Maybe, knowing that, you won't have the patience to stay here and deal with its modern day incarnation. Yer either with us or a'gin us.

You go, Eby (and Harris).

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck