*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

PAVELISH on THE STREETS - SAFE OR UNSAFE.

There is a lot of talk about neighborhood safety and this is adding to much confusion. One candidate for Council states that violent crime is down this year and I think he takes credit for this. God Bless Him. Other candidates take the same credit for this by the hiring of 60 additional police officers even though the police state that they didn't want or need 60 officers. Others credit the Hamilton County Sheriff patrols for the "reduction" in violent crime. Cincinnati police want the Hamiliton County Sheriffs to go away. But the citizens of Over the Rhine want the Sheriffs to stay. Another statistic shows an increase in juvenile violent crime. The rank and file officers claim (secretly) that they don't like present policing policies. Police management says that they will get used to it. District 3 (western side) officers complain (secretly) that District 3 covers too large of an area. They tell me (secretly) that too much time is spent driving from one call to another. And their response time may be poor. Westwood and Price Hill citizens complain that the police response time is slow to none. The Over the Rhine business owners complain about hookers "everywhere." District I police management says that hookers are not top priority. WOW. MY HEAD IS SPINNING.

For the past four months I've been walking the street of all neighborhoods. And I have felt welcomed by most. I walked past large groups of teenagers just "hanging out" and they seemed polite ( but maybe a little loud). I felt no threat. One Sunday I was almost trampled to death by a large group of church ladies quickly leaving the church to attend a picnic. I was scared to death...but soon I felt no threat. Many large dogs were not happy to see me and barked a lot but that's their job. I felt no threat. Some homeowners were tired of the politicians knocking on doors and at times were rude but I felt no threat. I ONLY feared the possibility of tripping over all those illegally placed campaign signs and maybe rehurting my football related poor knee.

I don't know if the City is really safe. No one knows. For the most part it probably is. And I don't know what statistics to believe. . .But the candidates will chime in with their government ideas on how to care for us And we will hear another three year plan, or two.

But many seniors tell me that they fear leaving their homes to go shopping and many children feel uncomfortable walking to the school bus stop. Many people have bars on windows and I see security systems everywhere. All these big dogs must mean something. My neighborhood of Clifton Heights has student mugging problems and that must be addressed.

Whether Cincinnati is safe or not safe is still a puzzle but as long as there is even a perception of unsafe streets, City Council must work for safe streets as PRIORITY ONE.


Steve Pavelish for Cincinnati City Council

http://www.pavelish.com/


5 Comments:

at 7:58 AM, October 25, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion for you Mr. Pavelish (and for anyone else interested in safety in our city)

Sign up to do a police "ride along". Any citizen can do it, with a brief background check. Sign up for the "power shift" on a Friday or Saturday evening.
And if you aren't African American, ask if you can specifically ride with an African American officer.

Then go down to the County Courthouse several days. Spend time - all morning - sitting in a courtroom. Next day, pick another judge and courtroom. Listen to all the things that go on in court. Talk to the bailiff. Talk with the judge if they have time. Talk with the prosecutors and the defense attorneys.

After you've done all the above, then look at the actual crime statistics with more understanding of what the actual numbers really mean.

If you cannot take the time to do all these - then talk to those that do. Talk to the Citizens on Patrol, CPOP or Court Watch volunteers. Ask them why they do what they do, and what they see and know is happening.

 
at 9:42 AM, October 25, 2007 Blogger pavelish said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for responding. I wrote my article with the idea of getting debate on safety. All the Council candidates are all over the map on safety. Safety should be PRIORITY ONE. My article was MY experience in Cincinnati. I would not suggest that everyone walk the City alone. All neighborhoods have really great people and these great people want change. Improved safety is one of the changes for some. I've spoken to several members of C.O.P and other neighborhood groups. And these groups are also all over the map on our safety question. Please check out my website and then contact me so I can hear your thoughts.

Steve Pavelish for City Council
www.pavelish.com

 
at 12:31 PM, October 25, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I don't live on the Westside, I have to agree with the police officers that District 3 is too large of an area. That's a stretch from Warsaw Ave., where the station house is to say, Sayler Park, considering the car can drive like a bat out of hell out River Rd.

I do volunteer in my neighborhood. What I do for the neighborhood & where I live is not important. I do value the services from the Police & Fire Depts. I see my tax dollars at work each day.

However, I no longer feel safe in this city. That has been my feelings for years. I have security doors, & an alarm system. I have thicker windows, which blocks out the stereo noises, too, & have done other things to strengthen & fortify my living space.

More jail space & increased police presence isn't going to erase the uneasiness that I & many others have these days. Perhaps it's the times. Many of us remember when our streets were safe to walk at any hour. When I need my walks, I'll go to the Mall or my exercise class. I don't walk the streets in my neighborhood, & I won't walk in other neighborhoods, because I don't know where the crime is located. I don't feel safe driving in other neighborhoods, day or night.

At some point, I am going to relocate out of the city. Right now, I'm doing my homework. I don't want to go from one unliveable, intolerable situation to another. This crime business isn't the fault of the police or the deputies. It's neighborhoods not minding their streets & sidewalks. I mind my street. Others can too.

 
at 1:23 PM, October 25, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like that guy who made that comment might have a little more info on crime that the average Joe. Got some expierience being in the court systems do ya?

 
at 8:05 PM, October 25, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

1:23 PM, October 25, 2007 wrote:

Sounds like that guy who made that comment might have a little more info on crime that the average Joe. Got some expierience being in the court systems do ya?
*************
not sure if you are responding to me (I'm the first poster), but if you were, I'm a member of Citizen on Patrol and CPOP (just got home from the banquet) and my husband is, too, plus a member of Court Watch. He spends upwards of 3-4 mornings in court a week, following those that either live in our community and commit crimes, or commit crimes in our community.

Although anyone can get most of this information. The city crime statistics are on the CPD website. You can also get them off of the FBI website. The county crime stats are on the Hamilton County Sherriff's website. The Hamilton County Clerk of Courts website has a searchable offense database. Anyone that has had any dealing with the criminal justice system in Hamilton County (except juvenile records) can be found there.

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck