*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Thursday, October 25, 2007

John Eby on Starting our Future Today

In his autobiography, “God, Country, Notre Dame”, Fr. Ted Hesburgh wrote:

“One of the great modern heresies that I hear from time to time is that in our modern world one person cannot make a difference. Looking back over the years of my life, I can see clearly what we need most, and need now: faith, vision, courage, imagination and ingenuity. Optimism is often thwarted, hopes dashed and faith threatened, but we will never know what heights we can achieve unless we try. One person can make a difference. And no one knows what he or she is capable of until he or she tries.”

By now, most of you have seen my graduation photo from Saint William elementary school, the infamous “Blue Dot” photo. It is one of my favorite campaign props. That one picture clearly demonstrates how decisions made by past councils have affected our city. Of the 115 kids in my graduating class, only six still live within the city limits. They left for the suburbs for three reasons, clean-safe streets, great school systems and market rate affordable housing. We cannot allow that to happen with this current generation of Cincinnatians. We need "Doers" on city council. People who will do the work that is necessary to overcome the pessimism, the naysayers, the inertia that has caused us to think less of ourselves, less of our abilities to make a differences, and less of our city. I'm a doer. I believe in the greatness that was and can be Cincinnati. This is why I stayed in Cincinnati to raise my children. I will bring my faith, vision, courage, imagination, and ingenuity to Council.

IMAGINE a New Cincinnati. IMAGINE a city that has world class educational opportunities. IMAGINE a city that has clean safe streets where family and friends gather to talk with one another. IMAGINE a riverfront connected to the central city and our neighborhoods, where streetcars and inclines move people to work, movies, plays, concerts, and dinner reservations. IMAGINE Cincinnati living up to its name, “the Queen City of the West”. I’m running for city council so that we can STOP IMAGINING and START REALIZING our dreams.

Please visit www.johneby.com for information about me and my plans for Cincinnati.

Labels: , ,


4 Comments:

at 1:39 PM, October 26, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught this post today when my friend emailed it to me...I've also read some of the other posts on this blog about Eby...and they've convinced me to vote for him!

 
at 10:33 AM, October 27, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be voting for him too. And just to let you know, you've done the rational thing as well as the right thing by staying within an already established urban environment. The problems this city has are not very different from the ones other cities have faced and stood down in the past 30-40 years. To run away was a fool's errand creating sprawl, big new "McMansions", and the attendant tax burden and yes, the need to fund new schools instead of working to fix the old ones. And for what? To have to learn the lesson that to run from problems merely invites them to follow you. The dream of 1950s America is a chimera, we have lots of work to do to make this a realistic, fully integrated community poised to share the American dream in this century.

BTW, I too was a graduate of Western Hills High School long before Mr. Eby and I know the inherent racism in this city like I know my own heart. It's subtle and it's reinforced by competition amongst the working poor of all races. Luckily, my family was composed of unequivocally compassionate people of modest means and we are riding out these necessary corrections to course with our fellow Cincinnatians.

You go, Eby!

 
at 9:46 AM, October 29, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

After researching all the candidates for Cincinnati city council I could not agree more with the Enquirer’s endorsements of John Eby. It will be refreshing to have someone who has researched and thought about the issues and then proposes a plan. Eby is the right choice.

 
at 9:01 PM, October 29, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also graduated from Western Hills High School. I am still here and alot of people I graduated with are still here too. I am tired of Eby saying the same thing over, and over. Eby does not deserve the job of a council member. I saw him at a festival over the summer and he was very rude to me when I asked him a couple questions. Maybe he was just irritated because I was blocking his way to the Hot dog line.

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck