*

*
Today at the Forum
Opinions from members of the Enquirer Editorial Board


David Wells,
Editorial Page Editor


Ray Cooklis,
Assistant Editorial Editor


Krista Ramsey,
Editorial Writer


Dennis Hetzel, General Manager,
Kentucky Enquirer/NKY.Com


Jim Borgman,
Editorial Cartoonist



Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 16, 2008

Why I'm still taking the bus

A couple of weeks ago, I pledged to ride Metro to work for a week to goad high school students to park their cars and take the school bus.

I'm still shuttling along a month later, about three days a week.

A friend tells me that fuel-consumption guilt isn't enough to make most people try the bus, that there has to be a personal payoff. I'm easily guilted so I don't know, but maybe he's right.

I do know that three factors make me willing to put up with some inconvenience (frizzy hair, longer days, a constant search for $1 bills) to keep boarding that bus.

First, I realize that when I drive myself downtown, I scurry right into the parking garage as if I had blinders on. What I never knew I was missing is a city waking up. I like the three-block walk to my office and seeing people duck into Starbucks for a latte or greeting a friend on the way to the office. There is something downright charming about watching Jeffrey McClorey, owner of Bromwell's, calmly sweeping the sidewalk in front of his store while the shop cat, Cinders, stretches and shakes herself awake in the front window.

Second and related, taking the bus has made me feel I've made my peace with working in the city. I've embraced it. Until now, I saw my life as a dichotomy: I live my "real life" in the suburbs, but spend my days in the city -- without ever totally engaging with it. Now I see my life much more holistically, recognizing how much I enjoy the urban experience and not feeling that I cross into a parallel universe when I hit my downtown exit.

Third, as I watch all the cars carrying a single person make their way downtown, I am struck by the inefficiency of it and by the enormous waste of natural resources. It just looks odd, like putting one egg in a carton. I don't judge those drivers -- I've been one of them for more than 20 years -- but I do see the collective impact of my preference for convenience and autonomy when collaboration and mutual dependence would be better for the planet and even for my own state of mind.


9 Comments:

at 7:52 AM, May 17, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazes me how much people complain about high gas prices but are totally opposed to any form of public transportation or giving up their solo commute to work. It doesn't make much sense. Obviously I feel for the individuals living in rural areas who depend on their automobiles but I don't feel a bit sorry for those who complain yet fill their big SUVs every morning as they drive to work by themselves even though they live on the bus line..

 
at 12:37 PM, May 17, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

The current bus routes are not practical because one has to pass through downtown to get anywhere else; there is very little neighborhood to neighborhood connection. (I've heard that the last time they were updated, they were done exclusively by some sort of computer model/projection, without the benefit of PLANNING routes which could serve workers traveling to jobs).

Whether that is true or not, there needs to be some cohesive planning about current ridership.

For example, our hospitals are a destination for many workers, as well as patients; there should be bus routes serving them from their neighborhoods which don't have to pass through downtown, and which run frequently.

We certainly created a lot of express buses to the ex-urbs when everyone moved beyond the Cincinnati core, so I can't believe that it is so difficult.

The price of gas WILL continue to rise (2 yrs., 5 yrs. whatever..) so people will be forced to make some adjustments. Let's get ready for that. Who knows, maybe downtown and other Cincy suburbs will actually be rebuilt by having more jobs there because the transportation is so good! How novel! That's where they used to be....

 
at 3:42 PM, May 18, 2008 Blogger 5chw4r7z said...

Finally someone else who gets it!
The other two commentors totally missed your point, it wasn't about riding the bus, its about living your life.
No one will ever understand why I love living downtown until they do exactly as you've done, get out of your car and walk. Its all about walkability, as long as people are totally focused on keeping their walk as short as possible , they will never know how much life they are missing out on.
Thank you for pointing this out.

 
at 3:49 PM, May 18, 2008 Blogger Sean F. said...

Love the "one egg in a carton" analogy. I take the bus almost everywhere (living in downtown makes it much more practical than it would for most people) and your observations are dead on. I think more area residents would fall in love with not only neighborhood aspect downtown has, but the built environment of our older neighborhoods which the bus serves.

I only hope that with gas making it hard for many Cincinnatians to get around we will be more apt to fund a cohesive public transit system next time it goes up for a vote.

 
at 7:53 AM, May 19, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. I think most suburbanites are the same way. They really don't see what downtown has to offer. The streetcar will make it even nicer.

ps - I also love when all I hear/read in the news is the price of gas yet people still continue to abuse their cars and refute any forms of mass transportation (ie - light rail, streetcar, etc)

 
at 8:05 AM, May 19, 2008 Blogger CityKin said...

Krista;
I thought this was a lovely post... more about city life than about the bus itself. Thanks.

 
at 8:47 AM, May 19, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could find another way to get to work. I only have a 7-mile commute, but I hate that I'm one person in a car. I've signed up with rideshare, checked the bus routes, vanpools and the park n' rides, but there is nothing within two miles. I would even be willing to bike if my commute wasn't through a rough part of town no matter which way I would go...I would definitely not feel safe. Even if I transferred buses, it would probably take me an hour and a half for a normal 20-minute commute.

 
at 8:54 AM, May 19, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krista,

Excellent post. I use transit in Columbus several days a week and for much the same reasons.

Now, if we can just get intercity passenger rail, light rail and streetcars into a connected system. Then we'd really have options and a way to wipe out "pain at the pump".

 
at 1:54 PM, May 19, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous said...

5chw4r7z, just wanted to clear up, I think you might have misinterpreted my post. I'm very pro-transit, pro-urban. My point was the folks who complain about high gas prices are typically the first to vote no for light rail and the first to ridicule the streetcar plan. Getting out of my car and walking/biking/taking transit does wonders for my physical health, mental well-being, my social life, and my wallet...

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs
Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck